Sunday, March 28, 2010

One down!

Well, after I got the kids to bed last night, I walked past the fish tank and noticed that Butterfly was dead! Which came as quite the surprise because we fed them about two hours earlier and he was eating and doing good. I called Daddy (who is in Minot for the State Am) and asked him what I should do. He yelled out to his friends, "Hey what do you do when your daughter's fish dies?" I could hear them all giving their advice, which included: Give it a funeral. Go buy a new one! and She might not even notice!

Well, I disposed of the fish, still not sure what to tell her. I went to bed hoping that she wouldn't notice for a while which would give me some time to think of what to tell her or give me time to maybe buy a new one?!?! Well, 7:30 this morning I was still asleep when I heard some footsteps coming up the stairs, then I heard her stop, then she runs into my room. She says, "Mommy, what happened to the Tiger Striped fish?" Seriously she noticed within only a second or two of walking past the fish tank on her way to my room!!!

So, thinking I had more time to come up with an explanation, I was quite unprepared and it didn't help that I was still half asleep! So, I told her the truth, "He died and mommy had to flush him down the toilet!" To my surprise she handled it quite well. Maybe it is because she has watched Finding Nemo a million times and she knows all drains go to the ocean! ;-)

All she really said was, "Mommy the fishie didn't like going down the toilet!" I told her, "I know, Mommy is sorry!" She seemed OK with that and said, "Mommy do NOT flush Ladybug, OK?" I promised I wouldn't. Then she quickly ran into brother's room to tell him the news of what Mommy did!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Emery sorry to hear of your loss, but mommy I am proud of you. It seemed that you handled the situation perfectly. She is growing up so fast.

Christine Laney said...

That's sad. I'm glad she knows that all drains eventually lead to surface water though. :-) Maybe I should start using Finding Nemo in my presentations!