Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Walk!!!

Our dear friend and team leader, Anita wrote the following letter! I just wanted to let everyone know where we are with our walk and the fundraising! Thank you SO much to everyone who has already donated to help find a cure for our little man! I have told Anita so many times how awful of a friend I am! I never truly never knew what she was going through with Kenley! I felt bad when Kenley was diagnosed and asked if there was anything I could do, but then I went about living my carefree life not giving it much thought when I wasn't around her. When your child is sick and when you have to change your lifestyle forever to keep them safe and healthy, it is something! It never goes away! That has been the hardest thing to come to terms with. Kids get sick but they get better, at least that is how I thought it worked. Not anymore. . . I should have been there more for her and her family!. . . I just never really realized how awful of a disease diabetes is or that it could happen to us!!! SO again. . . THANK YOU for those of you who are helping us find a cure! It means more then you will EVER know!!! :-)



Here is Anita's letter:



Hello members of “Kenley’s Krew & Easton Too”! One week to go until walk weekend. We are so excited at our house! For various reasons, of course….the walk itself and seeing all those people fighting for the same cure, a weekend away, time with family and friends, a pool, shopping, cheese balls, a full cooler…and the list goes on and on! Of course the cure is our main goal! And speaking of goal…we are well on our way. Our team is doing awesome! So far we’ve raised $1,825.00. Yeah us!



Last year I wrote on our web page that my goal was for Kenley to walk down the aisle one day without having to worry about where her insulin pump would be hidden in her wedding dress. Well, after careful consideration, I’ve decided that’s too far out there. New goal…..state championship basketball game (senior year) without having to check her numbers or worry about insulin in the middle of the game. I know….seems a little cocky on more than one level – but I’m going with it! Which would also mean that Easton wouldn’t know life in high school with diabetes. By that time – we’d have our cure. I mean seriously….baboon hearts, reattached limbs (that work!), surgery in utero….pretty sure someone out there is smart enough to find a cure for diabetes. I’ll be patient; but there are only so many times you can insert a set piece before the skin becomes rough with scar tissue and only so many times you can poke your fingers before the prick marks become a permanent part of your finger print. So….new goal!



We have another member that has joined our team that has Type 1 diabetes as well. Brooke’s roommate, Tristan, will be joining us and is in need of a cure as much as Easton and Kenley. So our fight this year is for her, too!



I also wanted to let you know that I got a message the other day that as part of a “jeans day” fundraiser at Eide Baily a donation of $250 was made to the American Diabetes Association in the name of Kenley’s Krew and Easton Too. So again…go team! ADA is another amazing group. They provide major funding and sponsor the diabetes camp that Kenley went to last year.



I’m so pumped. Thanks so much to all of you for joining us. We are truly blessed to have such an amazing support system! You guys are the best! Go Team!





Here is a picture of the shirts Kenley helped design! She want it to go with the "Got Milk?" slogan, but instead "Got Blood?" Love it!



Again, here is the link to our JDRF webpage where you can see our team totals! :-)

No comments: